Prince Harry’s office has declined to comment on reports that Meghan Markle’s father will not be attending the Royal Wedding on Saturday.
According to TMZ, Thomas Markle won’t be at his daughter’s nuptials because of allegations that he posed for staged paparazzi photos of himself.
Markle reportedly suffered a heart attack less than a week ago, but checked himself out of the hospital so he could come to the ceremony at Windsor Castle.
Now, after the paparazzi claims were made by the Mail on Sunday, he has reportedly decided not to go to the event so as not to “embarrass” the Royal Family and Meghan.
He told TMZ that paparazzi have “ambushed” him during the past year, capturing him in unflattering situations like “buying beer, looking dishevelled and reclusive.”
According to Meghan’s father, he has been offered interviews between $50,000 and $100,000 since the future princess began dating Prince Harry, but he’s “turned all of them down.”
Markle claims he was approached by the paparazzi agency in question who offered him money, TMZ says, but nothing close to the reported $100,000. He thought “there was no harm” in working with them as it would help him repair his image, the site said.
However he reportedly thinks the images look “stupid and hammy” and “deeply regrets” agreeing to work with the agency.
Markle was previously married to Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland in 1979, however they divorced in 1987.
“We have no comment,” a representative of Kensington Palace told The Independent when we contacted them.